Monday, May 2, 2011

Got Hope?

I don't know where you might find yourself today.

Perhaps you stand at a place of great hope, or maybe you're facing a situation that is so crowded with doubt, pain and worry that you struggle understand what that word truly means, or if real hope is actually attainable at all.

Though we've dedicated this blog to share the stories of needy people who live a world away, the truth is that every human heart sits in a place of great want and destitution.

Binding physical wounds and filling empty stomachs may be noble and beautiful, but if our words compel you to give but don’t ultimately point to the source of life itself, then our efforts are in vain and we leave you in a place of poverty.

Jesus said, “Do not work for food that spoils, but for food that endures to eternal life, which the Son of Man will give you. For on him God the Father has placed his seal of approval.” (John 6:27)

What is this food that does not spoil, and how can it feed a soul that hungers for meaning, peace, and yes, hope?

That answer simply rests with Jesus himself.

Then Jesus declared, “I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to me will never go hungry, and whoever believes in me will never be thirsty.” (John 6:35)

Maybe you’ve heard this story many times before, but for whatever reason you’ve chosen to fill the hunger in your life through another source. Deep inside you though, the soul’s craving remains.

Though as scripture says, every human heart has a desire for meaning and eternity (Ecclesiastes 3:11), it is also clear that God placed that longing in each of our lives to point us back to himself.

Though his call is exclusive…

Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” (John 14:6)

…he promises to fill that emptiness in a way that nothing else ever could.

“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” (Matthew 11:29)

Hope is real, and it is based upon the person of Jesus Christ, the Creator and Sustainer of all things who sits at the right hand of the Father, and who promises to one day return for those who believe and call upon his holy name.

He lives today. Does he live in your heart?

I urge you not to go hungry for one more day. If you’ve got questions, or would like us to pray for and with you, please don’t hesitate to e-mail or call us directly at 937-671-4965.

Our desire for you remains the same as it does for mothers and their children in Tanzania…to see you released from poverty in Jesus’ name.

This is our greatest hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment